Biennal Exhibit at Whitney,NYC

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 03:55:20 PDT

In a message dated 04/22/2002 10:16:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wendfree@bellsouth.net writes:

> i went to the biennal at the whitney over spring break and am still in awe
> pondering what i saw. if anyone else went and wants to talk about it, i
> would *love* to exchange impressions! there was LOTS of conceptual stuff
> going on; i was a little disappointed with the lack of painting, in
> particular. i wondered if the artworks i saw were so attractive to me in
> part because they were not traditional art forms? even more closely
> related
> to the topic of different approaches to teaching - there was a lot of
> re-processed imagery and materials, things presented in different contexts.
> i was thinking what it would be like to deconstruct and reconstruct - in a
> thoughtful, exploratory way - things like patterns for tracing to cut out
> and make things or those old mimeographed color sheets or even certain
> materials like popsicle sticks and glitter... no matter your perspective,
> think you'd have to agree certain techniques and materials are pretty
> "loaded". i think it would be really interesting to explore in a
> non-negative/non-confrontational way.

Wendy, funny how you should mention that you visited the Whitney recently and
want to discuss the exhibit. I coordinate a workshop series for Long Island
Art Teachers Association in the fall, spring, and summer. We had an all day
workshop there this past Saturday. We get a private docent who takes us
around and explains the works in more detail than the headphone set. She
also facilitates a discussion among us 30 art educators. This was very
interesting to say the least!

But, most interesting and exciting is that through private correspondance the
day before the day at the Whitney, in NYC, I found out that two of our list
members- Trish Gorman and Mark Alexander were going to be there at the exact
time. Such an uncanny coincidence, since they are from out of state. We
planned to meet- and did! Such fun to "see" who you have been writing to
back and forth! They were great people- fun, and interesting!

Trish and Mark, how about joining in our dialect about the Biennal at the
Whitney with Wendy and me? Anybody else out there see it? I had exactly the
same reaction as Wendy- LOVED it! But I don't know why- it was so
unconventional. And, coming from a painter, I'm surprised because there
wasn't much painting- although I did get an idea for my own paintings from
the room that had some huge paintings by an African artist. I loved the
"lace" city or "cells" exhibit- the artist says that computer terminology is
taken from lace vocabulary- web, net. etc. Never thought about it that way
before. I guess I loved the exhibit because it made me think in ways I
hadn't before! That is a good thing. They did a beautiful job putting the
exhibit together. I liked it sooo much better than the Biennal I saw this
past summer in Venice.
Susan on Long Island

---