Re: art criticisim

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 03:41:12 PDT

T. Wolff (that someone just mentioned) and George Geahigan wrote a really
good book called "Art Criticism and Education" that has helped me understand
what they call an inquiry based approach to art criticism. Instead of
Feldman's method of description, analysis, interpretation, and judgement,
students begin with honest initial reactions, research independently and
learn from the teacher about that artist or culture, then revise their
reactions. I used this approach in my NBoard entry 3 where we do art
criticism. It just feels more natural than the step by step formula.
Unfornately, I haven't found much on the internet about it. Read the book
if you can find it. Michelle Harrell