canned lessons

---------

From: wendy free (wendfree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 19:13:31 PDT

hi!

i went to the biennal at the whitney over spring break and am still in awe
pondering what i saw. if anyone else went and wants to talk about it, i
would *love* to exchange impressions! there was LOTS of conceptual stuff
going on; i was a little disappointed with the lack of painting, in
particular. i wondered if the artworks i saw were so attractive to me in
part because they were not traditional art forms? even more closely related
to the topic of different approaches to teaching - there was a lot of
re-processed imagery and materials, things presented in different contexts.
i was thinking what it would be like to deconstruct and reconstruct - in a
thoughtful, exploratory way - things like patterns for tracing to cut out
and make things or those old mimeographed color sheets or even certain
materials like popsicle sticks and glitter... no matter your perspective, i
think you'd have to agree certain techniques and materials are pretty
"loaded". i think it would be really interesting to explore in a
non-negative/non-confrontational way.

has anyone ever used the awful smelling and highly flammable liquid plastic
type substance that comes in a can - you were "supposed to" dip wires shaped
like petals and leaves into it? the plastic made a colored bubble which
filled the space between the wires and dried into a flexible transparent
film. my students made some fantastic forms for hanging on mobiles using
that material. i think lots of methods and materials can be re-invented
and re-interpreted. isn't that what art making is all about?

wendy

---