Re: Art for peace protests/rally

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 17:08:23 PDT

 i am so glad your puppets didn't have a bomb in them,the bus passengers of israel-arab, jew and christian;unfortunately have not had that slight courtesy...amalekites what can be done?
  "Robert L. Snyder" <rsnyder@wam.umd.edu> wrote:
Yesterday (Apr. 20th) I attended the large rally in Wash.DC. for
solidarity with Palestinians and "Get the Israeli Occupation Out of
Palestine!" and stop the US funding of Israel, etc.. I live and teach in
Maryland nearby. I was impressed there were many artistic and creatively
made posters, large 3-d puppet protest pieces, and costumes as we all
marched down Connecticut Ave. (about 50,000). Some college age students
were even doing quickly drawn chalk art on the side walks.

I began wondering that I bet some of the participants here (and we were
from all over the eastern and midwestern US) have had art classes in their
respective middle and high schools from some of the art teachers that we
hear from on this list serve. Its a tribute to all of us - that art can be
used for purposes of peacefully demonstrating and expressing ones
political, social and economic views (publicly!) not just in terms of
intrapersonal and psychological standpoints of for purposes of financial
and personal gain (ie: $$$$$$$).

- R. Snyder, Maryland