Types of lessons we choose to teach... great dialogue :)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 14:06:37 PDT

I have hesitated to respond this thread -- because I tend to have a wicked
tongue, but thank you Mrs. Beeswax for saying it an a much more
diplomatically than I ever could.
   Any conversation that causes ANY of us to re evaluate our teaching
> practices, either to say " Hey, I think I'll try this instead !"
> or " Hey, this is an amazing lesson that I created, and it does exactly what
> it was meant to do !!" ---> insert a pat yourself on the back here :)
> is GREAT PROFESSIONAL DIALOGUE.

A professional dialogue is just what this list should be. If thoughts and
ideas are disregarded because offense is interpreted, then it does not
become a dialogue -- but a love fest.
There are so many issues to be considered in what is happening in art
education, in education in general. If we put off ideas and questions that
may question our practices, then there is no forum here at all.
I have been on this list for a couple of years, and I continually see
someone who poses thoughtful questions be "put off." The arts are the place
where everyone ,always, have questioned and be questioned. If we don't
allow that as part of this list, then it just becomes a "gimme" place.
> Just think if this vehicle was not available to us, we would rarely if ever
> have styles to compare and contrast, lessons to share and reinterpret.
> We'd be stuck in our collective cubicles and getting staler by the minute.
> Thanks to Getty for this forum !!!!!!

If you truly understand the National Standards, there is no place for
"cookie cutter" lessons. The standards are all about understanding the
appropriate technique for visual communication, making connections, and
using those tools for applying personal expression.

> thanks to all who share, thanks to all who rebut, thanks to those who offend
> and take offense. It's all part of being in a group. never stale :)

Christine Besack is an exemplary teacher, a tireless participant in the
Association, and a great advocate for all of us. Don't disregard her
words.

I love this list and don't ever want to see dialogue disregarded.

Patty

---