Re: scratch art

---------

From: A msg from Colette (emeraldeyes64_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 10:38:59 PDT

I remember doing an entire page of coloring. Very tiring and monotonous!
In spite of that it was of the first projects that I did as a student
teacher, just this year! Several years ago I fell in love with Oxacan
sculptures. They are from Mexico, very bright and beautiful. And, I was
looking for a way to use the sculptures in a lesson plan. I decided on
scratch art but I made it a little less boring for the kids. We studied the
intricate patterns used in the painting of these sculptures. Instead of
covering a entire piece of paper with crayon I had the kids cut out the
shape of an animal, trace it on scrap paper, color and paint it, and then
they used the traced image to create their design. Then, they could scratch
their design onto their scratch art paper. The project turned out great.
Hope this helps,
Colette
Here's a couple of web sites to see what they look like:
http://www.oaxacanwoodcarving.com/
http://www.whimsicalarts.com/product/items2.asp?catid=2
and, I found many for sale on ebay.

I need some suggestions for making scratch art paper. I cannot
afford to
buy the pre-made sheets..so my students (8th grade)will have to
make their
own. I have oil pastels and crayons available....anyone have a
preference?If anyone has experience with this and has some
helpful advice,
I would appreciate it.
Thanks!