Re: Types of lessons we choose to teach... great dialogue :)

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 06:41:25 PDT

Christine,

Thank you for clearing this for us. I believe that if the students are in
thinking, what are we teaching? This was recently in one of the art
magazines.

Teaching Rubric
The mediocre teacher tell.
The good teacher explains
The superior teacher demonstrates
The great teacher inspires.
        -William Arthur Ward

I was involved in a lesson one time(elementary-secondary) that had us
doing the following: think about which one requires the HOTS from
students (Higher order thinking skills)

1. Drawing what you think your watch looks like without looking at it.

2. Follow the drawing I am doing on the board and draw exactly as I do.

3. Student you watch for 5 minutes, make note of the highlights, texture,
placement of parts, etc. Now draw what you have studied, you can refer
back to the watch occasionally.

4. Given this piece of famous artwork, create a time piece for the person
in the painting, Use oil pastels as the media, and a complementary color
scheme. What are some things you need to consider when designing the
time piece for this person.

After this lesson at a workshop, I now approach everything differently.
From the most educationally challenged to the valedictorian, all students
can handle what is needed. You just have to modify far some (how you do
it is your creative skill coming through). Modification can be for that
valedictorian also. :-)

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org