Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Scratch Art - need suggestions

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 03:36:44 PDT writes:
>I need some suggestions for making scratch art paper. I cannot afford to
>buy the pre-made my students (8th grade)will have to make their
>own. I have oil pastels and crayons available....anyone have a
>preference?If anyone has experience with this and has some helpful advice,
>I would appreciate it.

I found that using crayons works fine. Coloring on tag board is more
successful than manilla, and that the black top layer can be done with India
ink plus a little soap, but simpler than that is to use black crayons to color
over the colors. The best black crayons for this are Prang, not Crayola,
because they are softer, greasier and turn out smoother. Kids can transfer a
sketch to this surface just by placing it on top of the prepared paper and
drawing over it. This leaves an impression they can see. Wood styluses or
tooth picks work okay, but the get dull easily, so a big supply helps. I like
the rounded scratch art metal points.
Good luck!