Re: Handmade Gifts vs.Bought

---------

From: Sara Scheid (scheidsara_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 12:16:37 PDT

Well thought out.
Sara
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: ARTNSOUL12@aol.com
  To: ArtsEdNet Talk
  Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2002 10:01 AM
  Subject: Handmade Gifts vs.Bought

  In a message dated 04/21/2002 9:35:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Melissasmi@aol.com writes:

    I always said, "I was taught to not do "holiday" projects...that's the
    regular class room teacher's choice." Tell them you did and planned this
    successful project specifically for your Spring Art Show.

  In the original post, classroom teachers thought the art from the artroom was so special, they wanted to send it home as a Mother's Day gift. I say that an art teacher should be flattered by this, not cranky or angry. Sending home art as a special gift promotes how special making art really is!

  Melissa, I also stay away from "holiday art", but, to me this means Santa Clauses and Menorahs, for examples. I think that if the art itself relates directly to and has symbolic meaning for a holiday, it should be considered "holiday art".

  However, I kinda like the concept of gift giving handmade, homemade art. The district in which I teach has financially enriched children, so teaching them the value of giving something you can't buy is written into my art program as part of teaching values. In my former district of financially deprived children, my students were thrilled to make and have something at all to give.

  I'm also a big promoter of art education and believe in lots of public relations. I think a mom on Mother's Day is most likely to cherish a unique work of art from her child than a blouse or perfume. More importantly, she might KEEP it forever. My fifth graders are glazing their original designs (many with messages to their moms-get out the tissues- LOL) on 8"x8" ceramic tiles to be used as trivets or hot plates as Mother's Day gifts. My 2nd graders are making small pinch pots with covers out of clay. They will add a message inside to their Mom. (Actually, I only suggest giving it to Mom- they have the choice to give the gift to whomever they choose.) I only do one project a year like this for each grade level in the school- usually ceramics- Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanza time: 3rd grade- picture frames, 4th does leaf dishes in clay around Thanksgiving. All are based on the same theme- GIVING!

  Any thoughts, agreements or disagreements on this philosophy?
  Susan on Long Island ---

---