Re: Handmade Gifts vs.Bought

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (jane_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 11:50:15 PDT

> (Actually, I only suggest giving it to Mom- they have the choice to
> give the gift to whomever they choose.)

Gotta be careful with the mother's day stuff - some kids have lost their
mothers and it is very painful for them to have a whole class session or
two or three focussed on moms - you're also bringing up issues for
adopted children, children of single sex marriages, foster children, and
blended families. These are diversity issues and unless you are
prepared to refer to all the possibilities and use the correct
terminology, you should steer clear of them. It's great to celebrate
family and give con sideration to the huge range of configurations that
constitute a family, but I wouldn't do it around mother's day.

---