Re: Canned Lesson Plans

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 08:20:53 PDT

In a message dated 04/21/2002 5:17:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tmtartseducation@yahoo.com writes:

> Knowing all the reasons why teachers choose to make
> cutesy butterflies and flowers that mostly all look
> the same in art classes, I would nevertheless, myself,
> never implement such lessons. Everyone approaches art
> from their own comfort zone and experience and for the
> teachers on the list who like this kind of work, I
> respect your need to do them. For some teachers and
> for the audience who appreciates them, including the
> ooh and aahs they produce, continue to make such
> projects.
>
> Personally, I think it is more challenging and more
> productive to provide students of all ages with the
> concepts and the skills, and let them interpret their
> own butterfly, their own flower, or whatever theme one
> is introducing, using examples and works of art, etc.
> if one is going to be concrete about representation.

I'm understanding your point, tmtartseducation. So, in lieu of this, could
you please offer to the list your version of a lesson plan for 1st graders
that incorporates as Ann did, the following concepts: mobile, stabile,
kinetic, positive and negitive space and shapes, bi-lateral symmetry, and
mixed media? I believe that Ann (Ann-on-y-mouse from Columbus) also
connected her butterfly lesson to Alexander Calder, so, as long as your at
it, would you please also connect your lesson to fine art and a well-known
artist(s) with your lesson plan?

Specifically, tmtartseducation, what exactly would you do with a lesson on
butterflies? BTW, I would like to thank Ann, and everyone else who takes the
time and effort to share lessons with the group, as well as their ideas,
philosophies, and humor!

I am on this list to share my ideas in order to enhance and promote art
education. I also have gotten some great tips and ideas from this support
group. Quite frankly, if there is a topic that doesn't interest me or have
relevence to me, I just delete it. Debating with concrete ideas and offering
other suggestions seems to me to be so much more productive and positive.
Susan on Long Island

---