Re: Canned Lesson Plans

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 02:15:54 PDT

Knowing all the reasons why teachers choose to make
cutesy butterflies and flowers that mostly all look
the same in art classes, I would nevertheless, myself,
never implement such lessons. Everyone approaches art
from their own comfort zone and experience and for the
teachers on the list who like this kind of work, I
respect your need to do them. For some teachers and
for the audience who appreciates them, including the
ooh and aahs they produce, continue to make such
projects.

Personally, I think it is more challenging and more
productive to provide students of all ages with the
concepts and the skills, and let them interpret their
own butterfly, their own flower, or whatever theme one
is introducing, using examples and works of art, etc.
if one is going to be concrete about representation.

Likewise, in writing about one's work, I find leading
questions that peg the artwork to "what is it?" to be
lower-level thinking. I believe that as art teachers
and artists, we must push beyond the socially endorsed
notions of "what art is" and not buy in to projects
that make daffodils out of cut and pasted nut cups.

Teresa Tipton