Re: Kindergarten Iris Paintings

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 21:55:26 PDT

In a message dated 04/20/2002 7:21:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
midwesternheart@aol.com writes:

> The problem: I had planned on hanging the iris work in my end-of-the year
> show May 12th. Though I work extremely hard to change the situation, I am
> not considered a "real" teacher even though I am full time, see 585 - K-8
> students, and am certified in Art K-12 and English 6-12.
>
> How do I reply to these women without sounding cranky? I know that if the
> work goes home with the kids as a gift, it will be seen as a classroom
> project (not art class). I have overheard parents in the past
> complimenting my projects by saying "the kindergarten teachers do such a
> great job." Any advice?

Here's my advice: Write a letter to the parents explaining the project and
their children's success. Mount or mat the art and attach this letter to it.
l If you connected this painting lesson with van Gogh's Iris painting (it's
not too late, if you haven't) you might include in the letter how their
little ones discussed van Gogh and his art. Explain that this learning
experience addresses The Visual Arts Standards with its connection to art
history and analysis. Then, sign your name. No mistaking this for a
classroom project and you'll certainly sound like a "real" teacher.. IMO, we
need to take our students' art room experiences beyond what the classroom
teachers, who,without our expertise, can not do.

Further ideas: Choose a dozen paintings , or so, for a display. Ask those
children to do a second one to send home. You might have to do this on your
luchtime or your free time. Or, send them all home and use the same
technique, but this time do a cooperative mural. Either have each child make
one flower that you glue onto mural paper, or let them paint right on the
mural paper. Put this on display instead. Can be just as effective and show
off the unusual technique!
Hope this helps....
Susan on Long Island

---