Re: Kindergarten Iris Paintings

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 19:14:56 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>How do I reply to these women without sounding cranky? I know that if the
>work goes home with the kids as a gift, it will be seen as a classroom
>project (not art class). I have overheard parents in the past
>complimenting my projects by saying "the kindergarten teachers do such a
>great job." Any advice?

Now, that kind of request would make me cranky, so I'm not sure I help you with
that. I'm sure I'd tell them the projects won't be ready to go home at that
time because I am going to display them. Then I'd give them an idea or two for
Mothers Day gifts that they could easily pull off on their own classrooms.

I haven't done this myself yet, but another art teacher in my district has the
kids paste a label on the back of their artwork from art class that is a note
from him to the parents. It tells the parents what the lesson was about,
important concepts, skills, and such. He includes background information
sometimes. The idea is to help parents talk with their kids about what they
learned doing the artwork, and to get a little art education out to the parents
at the same time. It occurs to me that this is a way to let the parents know
who to compliment as well. If you sign the note, they'll know who's classroom
it came from.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---