RE: writing in the art room

---------

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 16:39:37 PDT

I think art should take precedence in art...writing should take precedence =
I would like to respond to this one because it does hit home in a big way.
Even though I am leaving the art room after this year, I had to sit in on a
training session for next year. Our County has purchased a new Management
system and it is mandatory for all schools in our county. I was told each
week we would get three benchmarks to work emphasize. ALL AREAS including
art music and pe would participate as well as the classroom teachers. An
example given was using percentages in the art room to guess how much clay a
class would use. Now it may seem like what is the big deal. We all know we
use math, reading, science, history, etc in the art room, but it is a big
deal when it doesn't flow naturally from the sequential lessons you are
teaching in order to achieve your art goals! And you have to document how
you used the benchmark in the lesson. This can be real injurious to an
elementary art teacher who is already dealing with block schedules, limited
minutes(probably 50 each week)with classes and so much to teach. Our little
50 minutes seems to keep being whittled away at. "It will only take a few
minutes of each class period." You can always tell when non art teachers or
administrators come up with a new one. They just have no clue.
Martha Ulakovits

RE:in writing! if you have time for other things...that's great, if not =
great!

>>> artappeal@attbi.com 04/15/02 05:59PM >>>
I understand the value of writing about art, and I think the suggestions
that have been given on this list are useful. However, I teach elementary
students once a week for forty minutes. I feel that if I gave my students
two writing prompts every week, that's all we'd have time to do. When =
would
we practice the skills of visual communication through art making without
words? Students are given so little time for this endeavor to begin with.
I'm not disagreeing with the value of written communication, I'm just
standing up for carving out time for visual communication. What do you
elementary teachers think?

Leah

---