RE: butterflies

---------

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 16:19:49 PDT

I'm not sure what you are looking for. I have two lessons on butterflies
that I do with first grade. One is flashy and artsy. It's easy to do and
very colorful. It makes great displays and the kids love it. It enhances
students skills in cutting and gluing, visual balance, variety and pattern.
The other is loved by classroom teachers who are teaching metamorphosis. It
is not flashy or artsy but it is "cute." The kids like it too. Students use
visual balance, variety, pattern and contrast. I don't know which one is
more suited to your needs. In the first lesson, students cut the shape of
the "body" of the butterfly from tag board and color it brightly with a
pattern of their choosing using markers. To make the wings, they take a half
piece of colored tissue paper (I order the assorted colored tissue packs),
and pinch it together in the center. The "body" is positioned and the wings
taped behind it. Students color and cut paper scraps then glue them on the
wings to create patterns. Antennas can be added as can glitter.
The second lesson begins with folding a 9x12 white tag board in half the
long way or the "hot dog" way. Students are shown how to draw a wormlike
caterpillar. They need a bit of help with this part. The shape is drawn so
that when it is cut out and opened, it looks like two wings connected by the
fold. Actually, it's kind of a kidney bean shape. The shape is drawn and cut
out. Students draw and color the caterpillar on the front of the folded
shape using markers. They open it up and draw a butterfly on the inside. The
back is left for their name. I have done these lessons on and off for so
long, I really can't remember where they originated.
Martha Ulakovits