Re: Questions for someone just starting out

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 14:03:12 PDT

Hi Alex - I'll be first to reassure you. Every one of your fears is normal.
I still don't know if I'm talented enough to have a career in art - I just
know I love the creation process and most of my stuff is really different
from what the public seems to want or expect (does this mean my kids will be
wealthy when they sell all my stuff after I'm gone? *G*). Even after 8 years
there are days when I wonder if spending the rest of my life in a classroom
is REALLY what I want to do - but then I go back the next day and discover
that I really do love my job. Student teaching is definately a terrifying
thought for most, but we all did it, and it wasn't as uncomfortable as I had
envisioned. Try hard to get a great cooperative teacher - that can be be key
to your learning/experience. As for lesson plans - yes, you will have to
learn to write them, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel for each
lesson. Know what you want the students to learn then find projects to help
teach that concept. I don't know what the current job market is right now -
I live in a very rural community so I only keep tabs on the 4 area schools
within a 30 mile radius. Share your passion for art and the kids will
respond! You'll be great - we'll help! :-)
~Michal

picture