Re: a butterfly blast from the past

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 04:31:48 PDT

I haven't been reading these messages on the butterflies...but reading this brought back a lesson I did with my 6th graders when I was teaching middle school. I'll try to explain it, but if you don't understand, you can write me and I'll try to send you an attachment of a "scanned butterfly" that we did.

Use a piece of copy paper.
Fold the paper in half, sideways (hamburger style, not hot dog style)
With the fold towards their stomach (had to always say this), place one hand on the fold so that the fingers do not go off the page.
Draw around the hand.
Keep the paper folded.
Then, from one corner on the fold, draw an arc (semi-circle line) to the other corner to represent the body of the butterfly.
Then, join all the finger drawn lines together with curved lines...or add a line that goes on the outside of the finger lines.
Then, go back in these shapes and add patterns and designs.
Then, outline all of the lines with a black permanent marker.
Open the paper and fold again with the "inside" now on the outside. Trace over the lines that have bled through with the black marker.
Keep turning the paper until all lines have been traced with black marker on all four halves of the paper.
Then open it up and use colored makers (not permanent) to color in the patterns and shapes. You can also use colored pencils or crayons.
Color both sides.
Cut around the butterfly shape.
Cut a small strip of paper (bandaid shape), create a small circle to fit the finger, and tape to the body on one side.
Students insert their finger and when they raise their hands up and down, the wings "flutter".

Hope you can understand these directions.
Enjoy!!!
Carolyn Roberts

  Okay I am showing my elementary roots here. A little quick butterfly lesson I taught to 1 and 2nd grade was the butterfly that you attach to a pencil. Okay a tad tacky but they loved them. It was a symmetry lesson. fold flexible paper I believe it was photocopy paper.paper cut the wing and 1/2 of a generous body. Open and slide eraser end of a pencil into the fold at the body end. Tape or glue the body to the pencil. fold the wings slightly open then move. The butterfly gently flaps its wing.

  ---Randy from Maine

---