Teaching EMD

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 20:30:24 PDT

Thanks to all who have replied about their experiences with teaching
EMD. The term means educable mentally disabled and replaces the previous
term EMH which was educable mentally handicapped ( I had to ask our
resource teacher since I wasn't sure either) My principal -have I said
before how great he is?-- arranged for subs on Thurs. for all of us
special area teachers to free us up to go visit the school where these
kids are housed currently. The teacher said she thought the kids would
do better if they could have a class of their own but their parents
would never stand for it since they wanted them mainstreamed as much as
possible. I see both sides of the issue but it would seem better for the
students to feel successful rather than part of a group that they
couldn't keep up with. My principal is very supportive of the teachers
working it out but who knows what will happen.
              Jeryl

---