hand casts

---------

From: wjb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 20:11:11 PDT

Hi Listserve Artists,

You'll really enjoy this one!
I thought it would be fun to try the hand casts with my small Drawing
and Painting class. They have developed into a good group and the trust
level allows for some freedom in curriculum material now. I ordered some
of the Flex Wax and began the casting process. Was really impressed with
all that you wonderful teachers posted. The Alginate ones were awesome,
but sadly not affordable.

We had a bit of difficulty keeping the wax at the right temperature. It
would either get too hot or too cool and solidify. I took my own waxer
( the kind for arthritis) to school thinking that would be just the
right temp. Of course this is "verboten " by school rules. Cannot have
any personal equipment in classroom unless approved by the school board.
And.............ya better not have any appliance plugged in that is not
"Approved". My waxer takes forever to heat so it has to be left on all
the time. I hid the red light and left it on. We did a casting of one of
my favorite students' hands as out first experiment and uncast it
yesterday. Due to the moisture (very hot --92 degrees in April and worse
in our cooker Art Room). The directions said to use a layer of gauze and
then another layer of wax. Found that difficult to unmold.

Any helpful hints on keeping the wax at the right temp?--would
appreciate advice. Tried double boiler_ too hard to control.

The cast came out great, but as we worked at getting the rest of the
mold out, the fingers broke off one by one...................except for
one finger GUESS WHICH ONE? The kids all looked at me to see what I
would do. I couldn't stop laughing. We ALL just cracked up! It was great
to have fun with them! Thanks to you all for the posts on this
technique. Any way to reattach? We had a good time with the spare
fingers too...get silly on Fridays,

Thanks,
Gelato

---