two questions

---------

From: Susan and Ben (mckmac_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 06:12:38 PDT

Hi all,
I have a blind student starting with me in about a week. He is in 8th grade
and I had him last year.I am curious if anyone had any great ideas. He can
see contrasts so I was thinking of some positive negative paintings with
him-the class is doing a personality painting. Last year was kind of hard
because he didn't want to do things that were different than the rest of the
class (I can understand why-the kids were patronizingly encouraging when I
tried this.) His teacher wants him not come to art because he isn't doing
well in any of his other classes-not turning in assignments, that kind of
thing, so it might turn into a reward for him. I am not sure yet. I guess
I am looking for activities to do with the entire group, but I am not sure
of what objectives to focus on...

I am also wondering how other art teachers let parents and faculty know what
is going on in the art room. As a professional development I am
incorporating two new techniques into my teaching. I have talked with other
teachers and come up with a few good suggestions.

Send e mails home
Send (student made) post cards to parents
write up info about projects and put on display in the hall
contribute photos to the newspaper
contribute photos to school newsletter
e mail classroom teachers what is happening in the art room

If you have anything to add to the list I wold love to hear from you!

Have a great day, Susan

---