Re: Art teacher Barbie! Why not you?

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 16:44:11 PDT

The Barbie conversation has led into a 'wardrobe' discussion...and I thought
I would chime in here. I have always thought my responsibility as an art
teacher in terms of clothing to be the following:

1. Wear comfortable clothing that is safe (Barbie's clothing is way too
tight and small) I teach high school, and well let's put it this way when I
bend over to load my kiln I would rather they saw my tie dyed butt in a long
skirt.

2. Wear clothing that has been artistically designed in some way. I buy
clothing (and make my own originals) that show some sort of fabric
embellishments, or originality in design. I buy third world clothing, as
well as high end designers, just to mix it up. (Barbie's clothing is NOT
original, geesch there must be a gazillion of her outfits,eh?) As an aside,
my sister played with the Barbies, I designed and made the 'outfits'.

3. Let kids know that clothing is a way to express yourself, but is not the
only way. I never wear a smock, and if it gets ruined I don't get upset...I
try to be careful, but don't put much stock in the 'thing'...things can be
replaced.(Barbies are a dime a dozen, you can always buy a new one, when her
arm falls off).

4. Be kind to your feet (it's a long life)...and well, if you look at
Barbies feet aren't they in the permanent high heeled position???

5. Be true to yourself. I have taught with colleagues who have worn the same
work outfit all week, and those that have worn ascotts, but whatever their
clothing, they were true to themselves, and I admire that. Barbie doesn't
choose her clothing...it is chosen for her.

San D

---