Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: mural project

From: Kathleen Hubbard (hubbardk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 09:37:59 PDT

I have recently completed a mural with 68 middle/high school students. It is a mosaic composition completely done in ceramic, quarry tile, glass, copper, slate, marble and porcelain. The mural is on an atrium overhand 20 feet in the air. The scaffolding was a bit scary, but we got used to it. The mural dimensions are 27 feet long by 7 feet high. We used over 54,000 pieces of material to complete the design. It took 1 1/2 years to complete after school and on the weekends. I would be happy to share other details with anyone interested.