Re: EMD to Jeryl

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:32:03 PDT

Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

> modify when necessary (we have some very very needy students, some of whom
> cannot even communicate) but my lessons are designed so that each student can
> work to the maximum of his/her ability. I rarely have to change much to
> accomodate special needs students. Because of this, the special needs
> students are completely independent in the art room (with a few exceptions
> due to the severity of the disability) and enjoy a tremendous amount of
> success.

I'm in complete agreement with this. I teach HS so the students are
working at a higher level than your elementary students (they're at,
maybe, six to eight years old), and their teacher puts them into my
classes in compatible pairs so we're not replicating self-contained
environment. They do become much more independent and excited about
doing new things, working with new materials, and doing the same
projects as everyone else (with modifications only if necessary). My
philosophy has been: Concentrate on what they CAN do, not on what they
can't.

Maggie

---