pins

---------

From: Peter Gorham (gorhapej_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 07:35:02 PDT

From: "Peter Gorham" <gorhapej@nbed.nb.ca>
To: longbe@nbed.nb.ca
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:11:20 -0300
Subject: pins and needles

Hello Bea
Hope the student services wasn't too harrowing.
Here is an idea I would like some feedback on.
Considering our town this project might be of interest to
Dialogue NB.
Have a great week end Peter

Hello from the Art Room

    We are going to create a portrait of the area
(roughly Grand Falls) and of the time ( the age
of the pins are able to collect), to do this
we are going to collect the pins that people wear to
support causes ie the Kidney Foundation,
support products ie Milk, support events ie the Potato
Festival, etc.
    Pins are considered ephermia -generally
valueless and short lived. We hope to use these cultural
artifacts to
create a portrait of the area and the time these pins
were produced and worn. These pins whether
produced by large foreign companies or in small local
workshops represent graphic designers' work, as well as
the
interests and values of community members and cultural
institutions.
      Considering that this portrait will be produced in a
school, the pins used will be appropriate for a K-12
audience.
        We are issuing a call for pins for this project-
Please know that these pins cannot be returned.
This could be an interesting portrait of our place, our time,
 and a curious portrait of us.
Please bring any pin you want to contribute to the
Art Room.

Peter Gorham
Art Teacher