Re: writing in the art room

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 16:04:30 PDT

I wholeheartedly agree! We art teachers can be a rather lofty bunch - we take great pride in our ability to integrate all subjects into our curriculum. We search out projects that integrate music, science, history, geography and math into our projects. Yet why do so many balk at writing? I must admit that I did enjoy incorporating writing better when it wasn't mandated from the state that all teachers will teach writing. I don't teach writing per se, but then I never teach history for the sake of teaching history either. I use the parts of those curriculums that fit comfortably into my own curriculum. I start with Kindergarten. We have ABC books that I made. Each day we do a project that starts with a specific letter. While I am passing out supplies the students are copying the word I have written on the board (if we are drawing a dog then they write "dog" on the "D" page). I advance it from there. I have my Kinders for 25 minutes per week. I believe it is mainly time management - use all minutes to their fullest advantage. Rather than complain about having to teach writing I'd much rather read inovative ways to incorporate it! :-)
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  Writing is part of art. Art history work, critiques , evals ,reflections and so on. You just can't have it that cut and dry (imho).
  Aaron, I think you'd be surprise how much elementary kids could get out of some writing in art. I understand you time constraints, but it is possible to work it in with bits of writing to have them see the ties in writing and art.
  What it comes down to is we all just do what we think is important, or some get in a rut and can't see other options in their schedules.
  I'm lucky I work in a place where I see many other teacher tie art in to their curriculum. How great for the kids to see those ties! I'm glad they found time for art in classes like math, science, English, etc.
  MaryB