EMD students

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 07:35:48 PDT

        Jeryl wrote, "Questions::
> 1. do you mainstream?
> 2. if so, what grade,all the kids together, does the aide come?
> 3. do you take these students for the same length of time (is 45 minutes
> too long)?
> 4. DO you have special curriculum for these students?"

        1. we do mainstream except for a few BEH kids and TMH kids who can't
handle it. Art, PE and Teen Living are the areas used even if other academic
areas are not.
        2. grades 9-12, all together, no aide.
        3. same time frame-ours is 100 minutes every other day.
        4. I adjust my expectations and minimum requirements according to
individual IEPs.

        My personal opinion, and what I have tried, to no avail, to do, is
that I could better serve these kids as a separate class so that I could
adapt the projects to them specifically. I did this when I taught middle
school and it was great. The kids and I loved it and I could adapt the
projects to incorporate some of their other objectives like life skills
stuff. The principal here will not allow it, so what they often do is "dump"
into my Art I, or more usually, Crafts class. The problem is they also dump
discipline problems and kids they don't know what to do with in Crafts as
well, and then I have even less time to spend with the special ed kids. When
I taught elementary, I had a separate class and did much the same as in
middle school. I even took them on a field trip. Now, in high school, I
sometimes invite the TMH class to my room during my planning period to do a
special project. One of the resources I use is Art Therapy Activities and
Lesson Plans for Individuals and Groups by P.J. Furrer. It's published by
Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois-phnoe (217) 789-8980

        Linda in NC

---