pregnancy safety

---------

From: L. Horvath (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 03:41:01 PDT

My aid just found out she's pregnant, and is worried about safety issues in the art room. I do have one child, but was still getting my degree when I was pregnant. Ours is a 7-12 grade classroom, but we don't tend to use materials I would think of as hazardous - etching acids, pickle fluids, glaze powders, etc. I know baking Sculpey in the toaster oven is not a good idea in the room, but what other precautions shoud we keep in mind? Am I right in thinking that temperas and acrylics are ok? What about fumes from permanent markers? What do you all think? What precautions did you take when you were teaching and pregnant? Thanks - we appreciate your help!!
-Lydia de Toledo

---