Re: teaching art to EMD students-help!

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 18:45:08 PDT

 Questions::
> 1. do you mainstream?
    Yes, all the special needs students come with a class of children of
their own chronological age. Which means I may have students in fourth grade
who are mentally functioning at the age of a 3 year old. They are placed in
special areas for "social interaction" with children their age.

> 2. if so, what grade,
    K-5
does the aide come?
     The only aides I have come with the MH (multiply handicapped) students
who are able to tolerate the art room.
> 3. do you take these students for the same length of time--
    Yes (is 45 minutes
> too long)?
    My longest period is 40 minutes, but I see my students twice a week (K
is once a week for 30 minutes.) Longer times can be difficult, depending on
the child and if you have no aide.
> 4. DO you have special curriculum for these students?
    No. But I do adapt some lessons.
I enjoy working with all my students, whatever their stage of mental and
physical development. Art gives many children a way to achieve success that
a subject with which they constantly struggle does not.

        Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

> Thanks for any advice from those of you who handle this currently
> Jeryl in SC

---