Re: writing in the art room

---------

From: sbacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 17:21:27 PDT

Leah,

Actually, both. Allow me to explain. I had 160 minutes "unclaimed" minutes
in my schedule. The principal wanted me to "tutor" one particular 3rd grade
class on proficiency outcomes -- whatever the classroom teacher wanted. Well,
I wasn't totally comfortable being at the disposal of the classroom teacher (I
felt it undermined the importance of my role in the school), and I was not
about to sit and do math flash cards with the kids. Fortunately for me, both
the principal and classroom teacher agreed. When I suggested a creative
writing class (minor was English), they thought it was awesome. That's how
that was born. Unfortunatley, because of the whacko way art teachers are
distributed throughout our district a vacancy for a 1/2 kindergarten class
opened at another school, and I, had to fill it. Now, I only get to meet with
my 3rd graders once a week for 1/2 hour. They often come to art lab at lunch,
or tote their writing folders back to class to work on during their writing
and free time.

I also do as much as time allows in my regular visual arts classes. I do the
same things that I mentioned earlier and the assessment/evaluation writing
that some of the other teachers use. My classes are pretty jampacked --
sometimes the kids don't know what hit them -- slam, bam, see ya next week!

Sandy

> Dear Sandy,
> Do you mean you teach visual arts AND creative writing in art as two
> separate classes, or are you saying you teach creative writing in your
> visual arts classes?

---