teaching art to EMD students-help!

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 15:11:56 PDT

We just found out that our district is transferring two sections of EMD
students to our school next year. We are a small district with only
three elementary schools and all the special needs students were housed
at one school. For some reason, the higher ups have decided there needs
to be services at all schools even though it seems like more of an
expense. Anyway, my principal and I are talking about how to handle this
next year and he suggested I find our what other schools do.It is a
primary group (k-2nd) and an intermediate group (3-5) We would rather
not integrate them with a first or kdg. because our numbers are so high
already (27 kdg in class) Also, I think it would be easier for the
students to have their own class. Questions::
1. do you mainstream?
2. if so, what grade,all the kids together, does the aide come?
3. do you take these students for the same length of time (is 45 minutes
too long)?
4. DO you have special curriculum for these students?
Thanks for any advice from those of you who handle this currently
           Jeryl in SC

---