writing

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 08:47:05 PDT

I have asked my students to write descriptions of art works in the room, and
also each other's art works. Complete sentences are a requirement. This is
based not only on the standards, but also on an alumni letter I received
from my former printmaking instructor, also the chair of the art department.
In it, she complained that the New York art reviewers had reviewed the
Whitney Biennial without describing the art work, so the readers did not
know what they were talking about! She wrote that the Whitney show was very
important to college teachers and they needed to know what was in the show,
and might not be able to go to New York to see it.

Some of the students were better at writing than they were at art making, so
this gave them a chance to make some good points for their grade.

Jean Womack
S.F. Bay Area

---