Re: writing in the art room

---------

From: sbacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 17:46:13 PDT

I'm elementary, but I teach a creative writing class in art. We started at
the beginning of the year with the prompt, "Art is...." This page was then
illustrate. We are doing a timeline this year in art class, so the next prompt
was "If the Dinosaurs Came Back...." This is the title of a book written by
Bernard Most. We did our artwork in the same style and are just about ready
to publish our own book. The students had to draw in black and white their
self-portraits. These will be part of the cover design for the book. Next
assignment my ancient Egyptians had to write a packing list for the afterlife
and why they would take the things that they wrote down. They will
illustrate this using a mummy case shape for the paper and hieroglyphics.

This class also had to do a research paper on the dinosaurs that lived in
Wyoming during the Jurassic Period. They had a list of questions that had to
be answered. Then they voted on which dinosaur was the most interesting, and
reported, and we are using that dino and info for our archeological dig. We
are creating the bones out of clay, cementing them onto a board surrounded in
stained plaster to look like rock and burying it in the school yard for all
the other classes to discover.

On May 9, we are taking a trip to the Columbus Art Museum where this
particular third grade class will attend a workshop where they will learn to
READ a painting and put our thoughts and feelings into words. Then we will go
to the Columbus Metropolitan Library where we will READ the words of a book or
poem and then illustrate our thoughts and feelings. We will be having lunch
in a garden next to the library where one of Seraut's paintings is staged in
topiaries.

Hope this helps.

Sandy

and, I took the clue from Woody, and we have an Art Word Wall in the artroom.

Does anyone have any good ideas for incorporating writing with art? ---

---