RE: FIT School Info?

---------

From: Jane Manner (jmanner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 06:50:26 PDT

New York City is the Mecca for art careers in general. FIT is part of SUNY
(State University of New York system) and was founded with direct input from
the various commercial art industries. It has wonderful programs aimed
specifically at employment. Students at FIT are involved with the best
professionals in each field and have opportunities that students can't get
anywhere but in New York. Because it is SUNY it is considerably less
expensive than Pratt, Parsons, School of the Visual Arts, etc. The only
school that is less expensive is Cooper Union because if you can get
accepted it is free. My son went to FIT in the early 80s. Because of his
experiences there and the well-rounded training he got, he has been able to
work for himself in numerous creative endeavors all over the world. He
continues to consult and design for the contacts he made in NYC while at
FIT. He is currently in Bangkok designing mall installations from fabrics
and embellishments he is having manufactured in India. Over the years he
has been able to work all over the world incorporating things from a variety
of cultures into the designs he does for malls from Xian, China to the
Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur to Stonecrest in Georgia.