DIGITAL CAMERAS

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 01:58:40 PDT

I am examining ways in which digital cameras are
incorporated into art lessons and curriculum. I would
appreciate your comments about how you use digital
cameras and what are some of the outcomes you have
experienced.

I.E.: I completed a project in Beijing, China where
6th grade students created designs for a sculpture
park in their sketch books, then as larger charcoal
drawings as if they were placed in the environment
they had selected it to be installed in. They used the
digitial camera to photograph the environment they
would like the sculpture to be in, and then worked in
photoshop to import the picture and combine it with
their design. They made models of the sculptures in
clay and a community artist selected the best ones for
creating into a large scale sculpture for the school.
We used their ideas of where to place the art. We were
able to get the piece made in bronze and funded by the
PTA.

In a collaboration with the computer teacher to
augment the time we could devote to the project, we
also did a Pop Art activity where students took
photographs of themselves with the digital camera and
changed it in photoshop, printing it out in multiples.

What are you doing?

Thanks,
Teresa Tipton