RE: writing in the art room

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 18:33:03 PDT

> Does anyone have any good ideas for incorporating writing with art? I am
> looking
> for meaningful and creative ideas that will appeal to 7th and 8th grade
> students.
> Thanks.

Are you talking about writing as in expository, personal narrative etc?

Or writing as an assessment - Open Responses?

Or just the experience of writing?

What is the role of writing in your school? In my state ORs and on demand
writing is part of the state assessment (beginning today and continuing for
2 weeks)... and 4th and 7th in our school has to complete a state assessed
writing portfolio - (and high school too)...

Are you going to be doing something with it? Contributing to a portfolio?
Sharing? Conferencing? Back to the good old days of just writing.....
what will you look for? Even the holistic scoring guide for the writing
portfolios has surface errors as a small influence on the score - but look
for supporting details, audience, voice etc... and if it is a rubric for
OR/on demand - spelling and punctuation aren't what they are looking for...

If you are focusing on different parts of speech such as metaphors, vivid
verbs or descriptive words - you may not have a complete piece to publish -
or even continue working on - but you have helped both their writing and
their visual literacy -

I like using a lot of narrative paintings to start with in writing - and
then move to the expressive. Compare, contrast using Venn diagrams and
paintings - those are all good starting points for writing -

I do teach elementary - and we have had a lot of writing training as a
staff, lucky for me I work with a core group of teachers (I don't have all
of the elementary classes) and we work well together incorporating art into
the classroom and planning together when possible. I just had two other
teachers last week comment on using more artwork in their room either as
springboards for discussion or to complement their lessons. Do I give up
any of my 60 minutes to write? - little bits here and there, but I may start
something in my room and the teacher continues - or I may offer a suggestion
for the classroom.

Several of us are focusing on writing and math as tools we can use in the
room with science and art being the core.... what do you think?

Ellen

---