Re: writing in the art room

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 04:55:53 PDT

my sentiments exactly,leah personally, i love to write and think it's an
extremely important part of the curriculum but i teach 800 kids a week and
just don't have the time to devote to it. not only to teach it but to assess
it as well. i do have the students jot key vocabulary, objectives, or
process steps down on the back of their art work. at the end of the year
they each make a personal portfolio out of large construction paper to put
their year's work in. (i save it all to the bitter end.) then when they get
it home and look through it, they (and their parents) can read on the back
of each piece the key ideas for each lesson.the portfolios are color coded
according to grade level and they almost all have a collection of portfolios
at home. from time to time they tell me about going through them and
remembering favorite lessons. that's what works for me.

on 4/16/02 5:59 AM, artappeal at artappeal@attbi.com wrote:

> I understand the value of writing about art,ŠHowever, I teach elementary
> students once a week for forty minutes. I feel that if I gave my students
> two writing prompts every week, that's all we'd have time to do.

> Leah

---