rice bag instructions

---------

From: Sally & Mike Engle (salnmike_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 16:35:00 PDT

I buy the pre-quilted material at Walmart or Joanne's Fabrics. Cut it to the
size you want, but don't make it huge or it will take forever to fill with
rice! I made them as stocking stuffers this year and made two for each
person. One was a rectangle, material cut about 8 inches by 11 inches. The
other was about 7 inches by about 14 inches to wrap around the neck. You can
cut them any size you want. With good sides together, double stich a 1/4
inch seam on three sides, leaving a narrow end open. Turn the bags right
side out to fill. For filling, use regular rice (not Minute Rice or it will
mush!) and mix with a small amount of potpourri and a drop or two of your
favorite scented oil. I bought the potpourri mix at a craft shop unscented.
Put that in a baggie and drop in the oil, seal, and mix it inside the
bag.Then mix this with the rice and fill the bag, leaving at least three
inches at the top. If you fill too tightly, it is next to impossible to sew
it shut. Filling the bag loosely helps it conform to your body. Once filled,
turn the top edge over toward the inside and then seam it all the way
across. I usually double stitch this, too. Paranoid about the bags coming
open.
Instructions for use - pop in microwave on high for about 2-3 minutes. When
I put in all the bags at once, I 'cook' on high for 3-4 minutes. Holds the
heat wonderfully! These can also be put in a freezer for half an hour to an
hour and work well as an ice bag.
Hope this is clear......if not, e-me and I'll try again!
Good luck and enjoy,
Sally^.^

brief instructions on how to make these rice bags?
Jan

---