writing in the art room

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 11:03:17 PDT

I often use description, analysis, interpretation and evaluation of a piece
of art as prompts-sometimes one, sometimes all. I also make students answer
review sheets in complete sentences or they don't get credit. Another thing
I do is have them write about a major life event as part of our unit on
expressionism, then they have to alter Munch's The Scream to illustrate
their paragraphs. My students also do research papers on various topics,
complete with bibliographies. My upper level kids have been required to do
such assignments as reading a news article on such things as Nazi
confiscated artwork-should the museums that now own them be required to
return them to their original owners? We also do various types of compare
and contrast assignments.
        My students get very annoyed that I dare to correct spelling,
grammar and punctuation and actually require them to cite their sources
appropriately. To me, this is all not only important for their development,
but important to us as teachers-it makes us valuable members of the total
school team. Linda in NC

---