Re: writing in the art room

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 10:07:05 PDT

I'm sure you have criticism and aesthetics as part of your curriculum.
I don't really like the idea of writing in art since it's done so much
elsewhere but getting the kids to write about art can be fun. Have them
first describe, then interpret and analyze, then judge. Or you can have
them make up a story about what is happening in the painting or
sculpture. Writing about artists can be fun. And don't forget you can
do lettering styles and such.

>>> shinds@seidata.com 04/14/02 10:52PM >>>
Since we don't have enough to do already, all teachers in my school
are
now
required to give two writing prompts per week to each class. Yes, even
the art,
music , and P. E. teachers.

Does anyone have any good ideas for incorporating writing with art? I
am
looking
for meaningful and creative ideas that will appeal to 7th and 8th
grade
students.
Thanks.

---