Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

coca-cola art competition

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 13:29:40 PDT

Howdy fellow artsednetters,

I'm curious to hear what many of you have to say about this. I just saw the
TV commercial today about the Art of Harmony commercial where in 12 cities
across the US, 3 student art entries win a total of $10,000 in U. S. Savings
Bonds, are guaranteed to have their work created on a huge mural, and get
exhibited as participating in the program's year long traveling show. Alas,
when I go to:
I'm disappointed to find out that the program is only offered in Baltimore,
Boston, Denver, Detroit, Houston, LA, NY, and DC. I know these are some of
our biggest urban areas and I should be glad that some big corporations are
going to these lengths to help advocate for the arts. But I just feel left
out- as if my NC kids are missing out because they don't live in a big city.

Have any of you participated in this program? How do you feel? Do you feel
that this is fair? I just think it should be offered in every state rather
than just populated cities.

Let's talk.
Michelle H. Harrell
Southeast Raleigh High School