Re: Ideas for vinyl fabric

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 18:49:13 PDT

  Jean Gallagher <jeanalice2@wyan.org> wrote: I have boxes of heavy duty vinyl upholstery fabric pieces, about 12 in. x 24
in. They are black, white, brown. I need to use them up (they take up a lot of
space) and I am totally blank on what to create with them. I teach elementary.
Thanks
Jean in Michigan...where Spring has finally arrived.

<eldoradoreefgold@yahoo.com>remember when every girl and woman on the plain of this great country could sew clothing from any material available?flax linen,homespun,slickers for bad weather were all made in isolated boroughs and hamlets throughout this great nation.fashion design is not without opportunities to neophyte cutters,patternmakers,sewwers and other practitioners of this discipline what you could have is an unrecognized opportunity.....once i was give a donation for a benefit crafts fair of several boxes of mattboard.a little calligraphy of 'poor richard's almannac' proverbs and i made $135.from that lot of supposedly worthless material in odd sizes .as i have worked with vinyl material for the last three years i note that the vinyl paint from supppliers is somewhat noxious with corresponding warning labels the vinyl can be painted somewhat permanently to be waterproof for outdoor display.bonding glues for appliques,again have warnings,sewing requires perhaps heav!
ier needles and horsepower of a powersewer(pfaff/,juki/singer)banners and coats of arms come to mind as projects ,bartholomew cubbins and his 1000 hats is another possibility.....greg sharp from california