Re: weaving

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 11:09:55 PDT

When I weave with my 4th graders I make them go step by step the first 3
days (25 min. class periods). Day one we warp the loom. Day two we weave two
rows - day three we weave another row. AFTER I have checked to make sure
they are weaving correctly then I will allow them to take off on their own.
I have found that no matter how many times a student has woven before, NONE
of them has ever learned to make "bubbles" at the end of each row to keep
them straight, and they all want to tie their ends together. I show them how
to overlap their new colors so they don't have to tie knots. We make
"potholders" or "doileys" and these take appx. 3-4 weeks, but they are SO
proud of their weavings! We don't put in any designs or patterns - I focus
strictly on the basic weaving techniques. I have found that by not allowing
students to work ahead at the beginning forces them to truly listen as I
give instruction. It is also necessary to build up your patience these first
few days cause you'll need it! *LOL*
~Michal