re:art auction

---------

From: Eric Holsen (holsenek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 21:54:42 PDT

Hi there,
I did a great easy project with 3rd graders making paper beads...

You can use brown bags or magazine pictures or whatever. Divide the page
into long skinny triangles by marking the edges of the paper at 1 inch
intervals (start a 1/2 inch lower on the right side) and connecting the
dots.

Then cut them out. Roll each triangle around a toothpick (round one)
starting at the wide end. Put a dot of glue at the tip as you get there and
hold a second to firm in place. Slide carefully off the toothpick (this
takes some practice).

I have a necklace of these made of church bulletins that is really cool -
they look like wooden painted beads. Brown bag ones look African - they are
fun to draw marker stripes along one or both edges of the triangle before
you roll - cool stripey effects!

We strung them on dental floss (no needles for little ones) but you can get
ritzy and use embroidery floss...

My kiddos asked to do these during study halls and after school - they were
a bead factory like crazy, male and female. (I "sold" the project to them
as African currency)

I made these for Xmas presents for family - they can be quite elegant.

Good luck!

--Kris

---