Fun started activity followup: Anna

---------

From: Trish Gorman (TrishGorman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 18:10:22 PDT

Hi Anna,
Well I did the musical chair drawing a week and a half ago (been busy since!).
A couple of days before, I was informed my principal was coming to observe me. I held this activity for that day. AAAHHHHGGGG!!
To warm up, I had the kids go to the Sanford Elements and Principles website (on Judy Decker's website) focusing on a bunch I'd pre-selected. They had to preview and answer questions, draw line examples.
The next day, they made solo line drawings incorporating all the lines (I had a photocopy with 13 or so), and considering the P's (movement, balance, etc). We taped a bunch up and compared and contrasted according to the E's & P's.
The next day--the principal day--we did the musical drawing. To review, I wrote the names of all the lines on the board. En mass, the students came up and drew examples of the lines. Then they had to explain what made each line (ex: curved, parallel, jagged, spiraling, etc). They were so good--and proud of their knowledge.
Then we had the musical drawing. I explained how it would work. Wonderfully, my principal has a good sense of humor, cause I talked him into going through the exercise with the kids. They RAN for the paper and charcoal/black crayon! I had 10 selections, varying from 15 seconds to one minute; classical, jazz, punk, monk's chanting...you name it. They had so much fun! I had a blast watching how they responded physically to the music. They had to return to their seat for the last song, ensuring balance and unity in the work.
We then taped a bunch on the board and compared and contrasted. I didn't go for the hidden picture, but rather the variety and mix of lines and the E's and P's.
It was WONDERFUL! The principal LOVED it--he wants to come back! (I think I'll have him in for the color theory test with nilla wafers and food colored icing--haha!)
We've moved on to black and white paper line collage. We'll be going to color, and color collages next, CD covers after.
Thanks for such a GREAT lesson! What FUN!!
Trish
(PS--it took me 5 hrs to make the tape! I was a little sleep deprived, but revved on adrenalin!)