Re: printmaking

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 18:00:46 PDT

  ARTNSOUL12@aol.com wrote: In a message dated 04/08/2002 12:51:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jayna_99@yahoo.com writes:

does anyone remember what fun it was to get into clubs free because you were the only artist in the group who could crave a 'password' backwards on a potato-stamp.?..say the class uses 'brayered" palettes; and students each make their own series of potato stamps for a total concept or design 'repeatable in groupings or mixed with other media'like collage ..etc<eldoradoreefgold@yahoo.com>greg sharp from california
Since we are on the subject of printmaking, does
anyone else get entirely frustrated with the mess?
My 8th graders are printmaking now, and with a class
of 26 and two sinks- I'm going insane!!! By the way,
I'm a neat freak. I'm thinking about having half the
class print while the other half does something else.
My smaller classes do not pose a problem. Any other
suggestions?

I print from grades 2 and up. Here's what I do for one process printing (without a printing press) with approx. 20-24 students: Students make only 2-4 prints each in 40 min., but don't forget, they're little ones!
(1) Use water soluble ink
(2) Set up my tables as "stations":
           )For 6 tables:
  (a) 3 tables are for inking ONLY; one color per table
  (b) I use one plastic lunch trays, covered in aluminum foil for "ink plates", a couple of brayers per tray
  (c) Table 4: contains the printing paper. Students must carry their inked plate carefully to table 4 and place it face up.
        Go to sink- WASH HANDS,
        Return to table 4 and place paper on printing surface and rub. WASH HANDS, again, if necessary.
   (d) Table 5: Signing Table: After they carefully pull their print, students carry it to this table which contains pencils for signing and numbering as an edition
    (e) Table 6- Drying Table: Signed prints are placed here to dry, and also my drying rack.

Of course, I cover my tables. After, the biggest clean-up is washing the brayers, but water soluble ink (Speedball brand) makes it doable. Just peel the foil off the lunch trays and throw away. The kids get nice, neat prints with no figure prints. Believe it or not, I get no fooling around. Everyone is directed into following the tables, step by step, and it seems to go smoothly, with kids at different tables at different times. I stress cooperation and sharing. You know, the usual.

Does this sound much different from what others are doing? I call it an "Organized Mess" (Nah, really not so messy- you should see my unconventional painting lessons) and sometimes I think, "Doesn't everyone do it this way?" LOL....
Susan on Long Island