sand mandala

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 06:28:39 PDT

Only in America can you see Tibetan monks construct a sand mandala in the
frozen food section of a health food store....

Over spring break a I was able to watch the process - WOW!!! pictures could
never do it justice. The store was close enough to make several trips over
the week to watch the progress... what an experience. Even my 13 year old
(who doesn't like anything) appreciated it. Just amazing. Went back for
the dismantling, but so many people showed up they had to carry it outside -
yikes - and I couldn't stay for all of it.

We start two weeks of state testing next week - I told my principal to
forget the 'prep' rally, peppermints and water bottles... the kids needed
this in the school to prepare themselves - how inspiring.

Ellen

---