Parent volunteers/advisory group

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 05:56:56 PDT

The original post was for ideas with parent volunteers - I am just getting
back into things after Spring Break - so don't know what was posted -
but....

a few years ago I had a group of parents that volunteered in the art room...
when it was going strong - I had a parent in the room for 1 1/2 hours a
day... framing, labeling, helping with the youngers, putting art work up
etc...
I had a great parent organizing it... and there was a waiting list. Then
the first parent coordinator moved - and the next person that volunteered
just couldn't get it together.... people didn't show up (which is worse than
not having help) and I canceled it in mid-year. I had a few parents
approached me individually about working in the room. I have never had any
problems like your concerns... trying to take over the room.... but then we
have parents all over our school all the time anyway - and if they wanted
control of my room - they would get it... better to build a strong parent
support group with volunteers.

there is another group that comes to hang the spring art show - 1200 pieces
(K-8)... and take it down and back to classes - I just provide the work
ready to hang.

I like your idea about an information night for parents -
Ellen

---