Out of the mouth of babes

---------

From: Glenda Hawthorne (ghawtho1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 05:21:47 PDT

Hello artsednet buddies from a "list lurker",

My name is Glenda Hawthorne. I teach art (6-8th grade) at Clarke Middle
School here is El Paso, Texas. First, I want to thank all of you for the
information and comments I have enjoyed from this list for the last 2
years! I want to share something that happened in class on Monday. I
have had my students doing self portraits using the grid method to
enlarge their images from digital photos that were taken and printed in
color. They have been using oil pastels as the medium. All goes well
until they begin the "flesh" color. They then begin to experience
frustration because they can't seem to get the skin tone "right". In an
effort to find examples of portraits done with alternative colors to
standard "flesh" tones, I revisited this website:
http://www.portrayals.com
Anyway, I have a student in my 8th period class who has been truant so
much this year that the judge ordered his dad to come to school with
him. On Monday, this kiddo, (who is black) was ready to start the skin
tone on his self portrait. I brought him over to my computer and showed
him this portrait of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. http://www.portrayals.com/mlk.html
I asked him, "What do you think about this portrait?" He answered, "It
means skin color doesn't matter." Boingggg went my head! What an astute
artistic analysis coming from this boy who is always in so much trouble!
I thanked him for showing me something I hadn't seen in the painting and
then I told his dad what the boy had just said. The look on his dad's
face was priceless.

Life is good,
Glenda

---