re: references enclosed with resume

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 20:51:03 PDT

> I need a little help on behalf of a friend. She took a new teaching position
> this past September but things are just not working for her and she is
> looking for a new position but does not want to tell her current employers
> that she is looking.

My advice is to be absolutely honest and tell your friend to at least tell
her supervisor that she is looking.

Where I am, administrators are contacting references. If the the last job
position lists no references that is probably an immediate concern and
question mark.

References are a funny thing. Most employers will NOT say anything negative
unless there is absolute evidence for justification. It becomes a legal
issue. But none of us know what is said
"administrator to administrator" off the record.

I'm on both sides on this one. I'm a teacher, but also a department
coordinator involved in the hiring process. There are certain things that
come up as red flags in the hiring process.

I caution all to always act professionally in the job search process. I
personally think we owe it to an employer when we want out of a situation
and to conduct ourselves in the most professional way getting out. I am not
making judgements about why wants to get out of a position. But I do think
you should not expect any favors if you are not willing to follow expected
protocol.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh. But the semi-administrative end of my
job hates every time I have to fill a position. It is very difficult from
that end, too.

I don't know what to say. The job market is tough and competitive. I
suspect if there is the slightest thing to be suspicious of --- it will be
just that --- suspicious.

Tell your friend to be honest with her current employer. Include
evaluations/observations if she can't find anyone to write a reference.

And trust me, references are being checked.

Patty

---